Report to the Executive Director and Chief Investment Officer Application Deadline: March 7, 2022 Salary: Paid Internship
The Illinois State Board of Investment (“ISBI”) Investment & Operations Staff Intern will support Investment and Operations Staff in the oversight of a $24.7 Billion Defined Benefit plan and a $5.7 Billion Deferred Compensation Plan. ISBI’s internship program offers exposure to a variety of asset classes, providing a unique opportunity to learn about investment strategies ranging from passive indexed investments to niche private market strategies and everything in between. The Staff Intern will learn about the components of a long-term institutional investment portfolio, the Fund’s approach to investment analysis, risk management, and the important role of diversity in investments. The internship program also provides an in-depth view into aspects of ISBI’s portfolio and general business operations.
The Investment and Operations Staff Intern’s role is to support ISBI’s Investment Staff in the assessment of current and prospective investment managers alongside our Strategic Partners, review the Fund’s quarterly performance reporting, assist in the preparation of materials for ISBI’s Board of Trustees, perform other research relating to the portfolio as necessary, and support ISBI’s Director of Operations and Accounting in executing ongoing portfolio and business operations. Specific responsibilities include, though are not limited to:
1. Perform portfolio research and assist with investment manager reviews. Present research and findings at weekly Investment Staff meetings.
2. Participate in meetings and quarterly performance updates with ISBI’s investment managers.
3. Assist Investment Staff in assembling materials for ISBI’s Board of Trustees, Executive Director/CIO, and other relevant parties.
4. Compile and organize data for investment-related reporting requirements.
5. Organize and maintain ISBI’s online investment management storage system and other investment related databases.
6. Assist Investment Staff in Transition Management oversight and Transaction Cost Analysis.
7. Review ISBI’s Investment Policy and report pertinent information to Investment Staff.
8. Assist operations staff with re-designing ISBI’s asset tracking process.
9. Assist operations and accounting staff with special projects as identified by ISBI’s Executive Leadership Team.
10. Perform other duties as required or assigned.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
• Interest in financial industry
• Courses in Business, Finance, Investments and Math